The unmissable trip of the year is, yes, you've got it, the QUB-organised Student Caving Forum 2010!
This year it's the first ever forum hosted in County Leitrim – details below...
Easter weekend: Friday 2nd – Monday 5th April 2010
Leitrim Lakes Hostel
Click here – the hostel is the old school building on the west side of the village.
A message from our Lord the Jockmeister:
We are pleased to announce the 2010 Irish Student Caving Forum.
This year the event will be hosted by those lovely people at Queen University Belfast Caving club (QUBCC) over Easter weekend (April 2nd - 5th) in the tranquil setting of The Leitrim Lakes Youth Hostel in Kiltyclogher, Co. Leitrim.
The sleepy village of Kiltyclogher lies in the heart of caving country in the Irish North west, less than 10k from the caving Meccas of Belcoo/Blacklion in Fermanagh and Cavan and close to many of the less frequented caves of Leitrim and Sligo.
So how much will it cost?
- There is a recession on so we hope to keep the costs as low as possible - 40 euro per person for the full weekend. (15 euro per night for those who can't stay the whole weekend)
So what do I get for my money?
- 3 nights' accommodation (Friday, Saturday and Sunday)
- Home cooked dinner on Saturday and Sunday
- A busy weekend of fun and entertainment
So what's on the agenda?
Expect the usual Guinness fuelled antics including...
- Some excellent talks from Artur Kozlowski and Al Kennedy on their local cave diving exploits, and from others on Shannon extensions, world's deepest caves and more TBC
- Monster Raffle
- Pub Quiz
- Squeeze competition and SRT race
- Novelty welly and welly wanging competitions
- The inaugural Irish Student Caving Lovely Girl competition
- A great weekend's caving in the classic systems of Fermanagh and Cavan
- A chance to hook up with local cavers and explore (i.e. attempt to find) some of the less visited caves of Sligo and Leitrim
- and much more TBC
What are the sleeping arrangements?
- Like we said there is a recession on and itís a good value weekend however bed space is extremely limited in the hostel.
- We have use of an excellent large carpeted hall and a few smaller rooms. There is lots of floor space so pack your sleeping bags and roll mats.
- There is camping space out the back of the hostel (we ask ALL campers to keep quiet after 10pm as we are close to local residents)
- We can arrange a standing campsite for those travelling large distances (please contact us in advance if you want a tent waiting for your arrival)
- Plan to arrive any time after 4pm on Friday 2nd. Kicking out time will be noon on Monday 5th
What are the other facilities?
- The hostel has no less than 4 kitchens and plenty of hot showers and toilets
- Outside area for drying gear
- 2 village pubs and a small shop (bear in mind limited opening hours over the Easter weekend)
Is there anything else?
No, just get yourself to Leitrim! If nothing else come along for a lazy weekend of entertainment and enjoy the local hospitality. Take in the surrounding countryside and have fun exploring this beautiful hidden corner of Ireland.
We hope to see as many student cavers (and hangers on) from as far and wide a possible. If your club has never made the trip across the Irish Sea this is a perfect excuse to do so. The good people at QUBCC will be happy to help with your trip (we'll even pitch a tent for you if need be) so please contact us if you need more details.
We'd like to get an idea on numbers as early as possible so if you plan on joining us for one of the highlights of the Irish caving calendar please email us to book your college and confirm how many plan to attend.
We'd also like to thank Queens University Belfast, the Speleological Union of Ireland and other sponsers to be announced for their support with the weekend
See you in Leitrim -