Sunday Caving, Monaghan circa April 2013 – by Barry

Sunday Caving, Monaghan circa April 2013 – by Barry

Sunday Caving
Co. Monaghan, circa April 2013

Author: Barry Monaghan

Present: Rocky, Killer Courtney, Roisin and Barry.

WARNING – THIS IS A SENSIBLE TRIP REPORT, NO ALCOHOL OR OTHER DRUGS WERE CONSUMED DURING THE TRIP OR WHILE WRITING THE REPORT. CONTENTS MAY OFFEND THE NON-SERIOUS.

With Roisin finally in the car we set off to pick up the other pair in the big smoke. Thinking I’d take the scenic route to Carrickmacross we took the Mournes coastal route only to realise just how scenic the route is. After stopping at battle bridge something or other (nice wee spot for a skinny dip I reckon) we changed route through the centre of the spectacular hills where several feet of snow still stood at the roadside. An hour and some delicious brownies (thank you Courtney!) later we arrived in Carrick where we replenished our sugar levels yet again. It didn’t take too long to negotiate our way to the area of the cave, park the car and start searching for the entrance. It did however take some time to find and agree upon the entrance, maybe an hour of wading through rivers and streams and myself doing a small duck (only to find light on the other side) we found an entrance looking like the Creevy Cave we wanted. Of course it appeared to be flooded (we think), so we set off in the Barking Blue Terrier, wetsuits still fitted, to our second cave of choice, Aphuca. Well this was an interesting cave, being heavily polluted by motor oil (nothing to do with me, I swear) and the foul smell released from the gooey, deep and sticking mud beneath the river made it a very smelly oily sensation but managed to satisfy our needs. After attempting to clean ourselves off in the stream inlet and nearby lake we set off home stopping at an interesting tomb site and view point outside Newry. This was followed by a friar tucks, yum yum, then with more chocolate brownies for dessert we set off for the final time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *